Pre-Flight Nerves
So we are jetting off again to the unimaginable trip back to Thailand, with a little bit less of a plan then last time and that can be very very very nerve wreaking. Usually a pre-flight Guinness does the job to ease me on. But you do you always wonder, did you bring everything, is this the right move, do you really want to go back? Naturally these are all valid thoughts and truth be told you really won't know until you get there.
This time around Im going into it with hope that I will find work, see my friends and that my experience the first time will not be destroyed. When you go back to a place that had such an impact on your soul, its scary to go back knowing those people you met won't be there, the discovery of the new place and landscape won't be new but you do go back slightly more confident having your bearings.
For me, this was a drunk purchase bought as a present to myself in January. You know that feeling you get when you just can't stop thinking about something or someone or some place, well Thailand was that for me. Granted I did spend an enormous amount of time there (compared to your average trip- aka 4 months) and that will make a place feel like home. Well they always say listen to your intuition - mine was calling me to go back. Leading up to this trip, now sitting in the airport writing this about to take my first leg (4.5hrs to Istanbul), did I kind of want to call it off, naturally. But truth be told, most of my life is planning around these random trips that I book scattered around the world not knowing how I'll manage it, but I will do it. I still have nerves, even though I have a small plan set in place at the moment.
For all of you who have never been, let me tell you something about Thailand. The price of things is significantly less (although not as much as Brazil or Vietnam). Theres loads of shopping to do (& second hand, which is my personal favorite type of shopping). The people are truly so kind and welcoming - just happy to have you there in their country. When you travel outside the city, the nature, mountains, beaches- they're something out of a movie. Since there are many foreigners, there is lots of english spoken. Omg and the massages (now the rumors are technically true, you can get a special ending if you want, no judgement) - but they are so cheap, and so good. Be careful though because some Thai Massages can be a bit... rough I'll say- I usually get a foot massage and oil body massage. Literally probably wouldn't have cancelled the trip just for that and a pedicure....
My (loose) plan at the moment is to arrive - stay in Bangkok for 2-3 nights (also something so great about South East Asia, you can pretty much book accommodation like day before or day of) and then make my way to my Muay Thai Camp Training for 2 weeks in the beautiful, beautiful island Koh Tao. The small island of partying, Muay Thai, Scuba-diving, beaches, mountains and just stunning views (fun fact: I went to the island twice during my month exploration because I loved it so much and celebrated my birthday there). And after that its to be continued.Side note: Cool thing about traveling and personally staying connected with people around the world via Instagram (because, and ask my parents, my number changes like more than there are seasons in the year) is that you can happen to run into people while on your travels and really randomly. I will be meeting a friend I met in Australia almost 3 years ago in Sydney - just one time but such a great time and she just landed in Bangkok yesterday so we will 100% be connecting (aka how I found out where to stay) - I'll will be updating ya on the hostel because they are pretty social and cool and usually have free brekkie (even that a vegan can eat). But you're just never truly alone traveling.
So I end this with- follow your gut and the nerves you feel after booking something or leading up to it are natural, but once you follow that feeling- she will lead you to something you didn't think you were missing. You'll be better for it.





Comments
Post a Comment