Why Am I Writing Right Now...
02 08 2025 -IRE, Keadue
I'm sitting here, 3 days after my father left to go back to New York. I'm finally alone with myself, blasting music on the speakers, dancing, laughing, smiling, cooking, reading - enjoying myself - reflecting on whats to come and whats now pasted.
One of my friends sends me a voice note of her time in Barcelona, which she did solo and without her family knowing. Prior to her trip she asked me about how it was, the people, where to go and if she shud. Having lived there for 3 months and went back a few months after to celebrate my 30th birthday with people I have grown to love and miss and who knew me in my most comfortable skin. I immediately was elated for her trip and having forgotten it was during this time where I could have gone with her, but happy I didn't since we were able to bask in the happiness of solo traveling, I listened to her note. Smiling, of course at my own experiences she was now going through. Expressing her newfound love for solo traveling, making me smile yet again.
She did things she's never done before, at least with comfortability. She met so many people from around the world that she can call friends, who would welcome her easily in her city should she be there. She had great insights, especially as a fellow American.
Having the energy to walk everywhere, go to clubs (consecutive nights in a row) on her own, eat wherever she wanted to go (having all but one meal solo) and feeling liberated by the fellow travelers she met.
It made me really think, this is a life everyone should try once and see if it's for them. There really is nothing else like it. Facing your fears and slowly and happily rediscovering yourself and in some of the most beautiful places only a fraction of Americans get to realize.
Talking to her has made me really grateful and happy in my decision to continue this journey- a journey still yet written, never mind outlined but I know the things it gives me and it's nothing anyone can take away. Deep down I have reassurance that this path I am on is the right one for me and one I will continue to push anyone to walk. The beautiful places, people, experiences you'll have..... makes all the worry and fear and nerves worth it.









Comments
Post a Comment